Good website design is vital to your website’s success. If the design is effective, it would increase traffic to the site and also improve sales. Conversely, a bad design can discourage website usage despite exceptional products and service.
Consider the following dos and don’ts when designing your website to turn it into a profit center for your business:
Top 10 Dos of Website Design
1. Do provide convenient search and navigation capabilities. Your website design should enable quick and easy search of required information. Each web page must have all pertinent links to enhance customer visiting experience and satisfaction. As a rule of thumb, it should not take more than two to three clicks for customers to access desired information. You would ensure repeat visits from your customers if you save them time by offering fast navigation and quick access to information they are looking for.
2. Do keep your website content simple and easy to understand. Develop clear, effective and to-the-point content to capture customer attention and help them grasp better what you have to offer. Your content should address customer problems and suggest effective solutions for them.
3. Do give your site a consistent look and feel. Creating a consistent look and feel for your whole website through the use of similar fonts, colors and layouts is a must to give it a professional look. Linked pages especially should use consistent font styles, graphics and colors.
4. Do make sure your website works adequately on multiple browsers such as Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer, for greatest impact. Increasingly large number of users are accessing web sites on the mobile phones. It may make sense to test the site for access on mobile web browsers.
5. Do put your contact information on every page. List your physical address including other contact information like phone and email on the ‘Contact Us’ page. It is also important to list phone and email at the bottom of each page for easy accessibility.
6. Do put essential information near the heading of each page to allow customers to easily see it and not wait to scroll down to find it.
7. Do use high-quality pictures and graphics. Images on your website, including your logo, should be of high-quality to attract the customer and generate interest but should not take too much time to load.
8. Do use bullets, icons, boldface and italicized words, color and headline to attract customer attention to significant segments of your content.
10. Do use clear and concise page titles. Users see web page title in search results and clear effective titles can considerably increase the traffic coming to your website.
Top 10 Don’ts of Website Design
1. Don’t clutter your website. Unorganized web pages are difficult to read and navigate. Limit the amount of information you provide on each page. Each page should ideally deal with only one topic, product or category. Any advertisement on the web pages must be non intrusive else the prospects would leave and most likely not come back for a repeat visit.
2. Don’t make unnecessary use of bandwidth consuming audio and video features, such as graphics, animations and photos. These can make your pages slow to load, frustrating the customers and discouraging website usage.
3. Don’t use text and color combination that makes content tough to read . Also limit the number of distracting visual on the site.
4. Don’t add needless irrelevant information or features to your website. It would be a waste of time for your visitors to use features or browse information that does not carry any meaning for them.
5. Don’t let the content of the links get stale. Content should be frequently refreshed and links monitored. Out-of-date links are annoying and can seriously affect your business reputation.
6. Don’t stuff the site with technical terms or jargon unless your website is designed to address the needs of a small segment of technical people. Moreover, do not use conflicting information in your site. In addition to confusing customers, such information gives a highly negative and unprofessional image to your website.
7. Don’t use flashing icons and text as that can distract browsers and prove detrimental to the popularity of your website.
8. Don’t clutter the web pages with advertisements. Also, limit pop-ups as they can irritate prospects.
9. Don’t include introductory advertisements on the first page before your web content appears. Such advertisements put customers in a sore mood even before they see your content.
10. Don’t just brag about your company’s achievements. Provide your prospects easy to digest information and back it up with references and customer testimonials to enable them to judge your performance.
Follow the dos and stay clear of the don’ts to build an effective website, and greatly enhance the probability of successful web entrepreneurship.
categories: Website design,web design,web designer,web design service,web development