Ending a vacation with a myriad of unfinished chores, disrupted schedules and mountains of laundry often leads parents to feel like they need a vacation from the vacation. While I can’t do the laundry or chores for you, I can offer some easy tips to help avoid post vacation stress.
1. Immediately before locking the house, spend 5 – 10 minutes with a quick clean of the house. It doesn’t need to be perfect but it is very nice to come home to a tidy house.
2. Give yourself time to relax on vacation. Resist the urge to see everything. Instead spend a few leisurely mornings or afternoons sleeping in or in the pool.
3. Return home from your trip soon enough to have one full day to run errands, unpack and at least start the laundry.
4. Travel days are best ended with an early bedtime. Help the kids unwind with a warm bath/shower and tuck them in early.
5. Sometime kids have a hard time sleeping alone after a vacation. Allow them to sleep in sleeping bags in your room or in the hallway as they ease back into the routine.
6. Hire a babysitter for the day after you arrive home. Let her watch the kids while you catch up on chores and housework and maybe some quiet time.
7. Actually unpack and put everything away. It is easy to procrastinate on this but you will feel so much better when it is done!
8. Take off Monday morning. Get the kids off to school and spend the morning catching up on e-mails, reading and just generally getting yourself back into work mode.
Traveling with kids can be very stressful – avoid the post-vacation blues with these tips for getting back into the groove again!
Find more tips for Uk marriage visa traveling with kids? Visit family travel expert Jenny Untermeyer’s Uk marriage visa site that is jam packed with family travel tips, destination guides, helpful travel gear and more.