Teeth whitening is not always an entirely pain free process. Some users will experience teeth whitening sensitivity, particularly when you first start to use a whitening product. In all honesty, the minor sensitivity you get should let you know that the product is doing it’s job to penetrate those deep down stains. The list below should help you to cope with any increase in tooth sensitivity you may find from such products.
* A trip to the local drugstore, or any retailer that sells dental hygiene products should give you a wealth of options to decrease teeth whitening sensitivity issues. Desensitizers will come in the form of toothpaste, rinse agents, and gels which can be smeared on the teeth by hand or a Q-Tip. Most people have heard of Sensodyne, but almost every major brand will offer a sensitivity formula.
* Dentist will also carry specialty desenitizing pastes and gels. These types of solutions might make a great second choice, if you can’t find a product that works for you at the store, or online (dentists are often busy.)
* Always use a soft bristle brush for cleaning your teeth. While this article is meant to help you with teeth whitening sensitivity, it’s important to note that sensitivity problems exist for people because: A) They brush too hard. B) They have diets high in sugar content and/or carbonated beverages. C) Use of hard, aggressive tooth brushes that strip away valuable tooth enamel, which in turn causes sensitivity issues.
* Be careful about drinking hot and cold beverages. Many people realize their teeth are more sensitive when they attempt to drink that first hot/cold beverage when starting your whitening regimine. Furthermore, using warm water while brushing will be helpful in avoiding any sharp sensitivity issues.
* Teeth whitening sensitivity can for the most part, be avoided by using a desensitizing product for a few days leading up to the start of your chosen whitening product. It does take a few days for your teeth to respond to sensitivity products, so try to be forward-thinking and most issues can be avoided.