Prevent Your Pets From Being Poisoned By Antifreeze

Every year as many as 10,000 pets and thousands of children are poisoned by ingesting antifreeze due to ignorance or accidentally in the United States. Dogs and cats are easily poisoned by small amounts of this coolant. Cats are affected four times more sensitive to coolant poisoning than dogs. It only takes 1 to 2 teaspoons to poison a cat. Only three teaspoons will poison a medium sized dog. In most cases this type of poisoning is fatal, but even if your pet does not die from an antifreeze poisoning, your pet’s health will be forever changed.

The toxic chemical with a sweet taste that is in antifreeze is ethylene glycol. The sweet taste is what attracts dogs, cats and children to it. There are states that are passing laws to require coolant makers to add denatoninol benzoate. Denatoninol benzoate is a bittering agent that is added during the manufacturing process. The bittering agent will not harm engines and is safe and biodegradable. It only costs pennies per gallon to add denatoninol benzoate. It seems like a small price to pay as a protective measure against pets and children being poisoned.

In Utah, Bill Breedlove championed this type of legislation after his own dog, “Freddy”, died due to accidental antifreeze poisoning. On April 15, 2010, Utah Governor Herbert signed Senate Bill 218. Bill 218 is also known as “Freddy’s Law”. This bill states that as of January 1, 2011, all antifreeze sold in the state Utah will be required to contain denatonium benzoate in an effort to discourage pets and children from ingesting engine coolant.

Until every state passes its own form of legislation about adding a bittering agent to the car coolant it sells, it is better to take precautions to protect your pets and your children. If possible, switch the type of antifreeze that you currently use to one that is propylene glycol based. This type is less toxic than the typical kind with ethylene glycol. You can also keep your car coolant in a tight container, in high places away from areas that pets and children might play. You can also be sure to check for leaks in your car and clean up any coolant spills as soon as you notice them. And always be sure to dispose of antifreeze properly.

It is important for you to know whether or not your pet has accidentally ingested this poisonous substance. If you think your dog or cat may have eaten antifreeze, here are some symptoms you might notice: rapid breathing, weakness, vomiting, increased heart beat, intoxication behavior, increased thirst, diarrhea, seizures or coma. It might make sense to try and induce vomiting in your pet, however do not do so if your pet is unconscious, is in shock or is having difficulty breathing. Rushing your pet to the veterinarian is going to be your best option to save your pet’s life.

Until your state passes a law to add a bittering agent to its car coolant, follow the preventative tips and if possible, buy antifreeze that has denatonium benzoate in it.

Want to find out more about Uk marriage visa pet safety, then visit the Humane Society of Utah’s web site today.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *