There are plenty of obvious reasons why come command should be included in your Labrador training. Actually it is one of the most vital basic commands each dog must learn to guarantee safety. Once the come command or recall is mastered, probably dangerous situation can be prevented by calling him to you. Aside from safety reasons, mastery of the come command also gives your lab greater liberty in some eventualities. You can allow him to run readily when you’re out in the beach realizing that he will always reply each time you call.
In a number of cases, training a Labrador with come command can be tricky given the indisputable fact that this breed is often described as fearless and frequently mislabeled as hyperactive. But nothing is impossible with correct Labrador training tips. Here is some advice to help you train your Labrador with the come command:
– Start training indoors with your dog on leash. Say your dog’s name followed by the word “come.” Do it in such a fashion that may attract or inspire your pet to come (using excited tone, having treats prepared).
– Praise him as soon as he comes to you.
– If your Labrador doesn’t come, tug the leash slightly to draw in and inspire him to come. Bear in mind not to pull the leash cruelly to stop your dog from associating the command with something negative.
– When he has mastered the command inside, continuously train the command out of doors and off leash in a fenced-in yard.
– Use the command continually (during dinner, playtime, to give treats) and never use it to call your dog for negative things like punishment or baths.
– When you are teaching the come command, or any other command for that matter, and your dog does not reply, don’t chase him around. Though it’s driving you nuts, wait till he comes and if he does, never give punishment for it will only associate the command to something negative.
– Labradors are intelligent dogs but don’t expect that this command can be mastered in one session only. Start with the very basic and gradually build on it. Training sessions should also be short as well as enjoyable.