The brand will avoid sanctions due to its separation from Huawei.
Chinese smartphone brand Honor is preparing a new line of devices with support for Google services, says Kommersant, citing two sources familiar with the situation.
A source close to the company confirmed the publication that Honor plans to introduce a new line of smartphones in spring 2021, which will not have AppGallery applications – the store will remain only on previously released devices.
The line will be released in Russia as well. Honor, Huawei and Google did not comment on this information.
“Kommersant” found that Huawei and Honor have begun to separate online sales of the two brands’ devices in Russia. On January 13-14, Huawei’s website was down due to technical work, and after an update, Honor models disappeared from the site. They are presented on a separate Honor brand website, which in Russia is also managed by Huawei structures, writes the publication.
In May 2019, the U.S. Department of Commerce placed Huawei on the blacklist. Google refused to cooperate with Huawei: the smartphone manufacturer cannot produce devices with pre-installed services of the company.
As an alternative, the company created the Huawei Mobile Services platform. In August 2019, Huawei introduced the Harmony OS, which can be used on smartphones, smart speakers, and other devices.
In November 2020, Huawei announced the sale of the Honor brand, with more than 30 agents and dealers joining together to form Shenzhen Zhixin New Information Technology, including Shenzhen government-backed companies.
The company said the deal will “help sellers and suppliers survive tough times” and ensure Honor’s “survival.” The amount of the deal was not disclosed, but Reuters reported on Nov. 10 that Huawei plans to sell Honor for $15 billion.